Monday, January 25, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus...

It was a 1988 Blue Bird Bus from Georgia with typical DAWGS stickers posted in the corners. However, it was also decked out in “Jesus en mi corazon,” Cars the movie, and Tazmanian devil stickers. The big yellow-turned-neon bus cruised out Carretera Vieja a Leon past horse and buggies, pedestrians, and cars. Words like “amor,” “siempre,” and “corazon” frequented the radio as latin ballads poured loudly through the speakers. I have no idea how this bus got to Nicaragua from Georgia, but here it is...another example of typical Nicaraguan public transit. I spend my time sweating, crammed against bellies and bodies of those standing alongside me. The packed situation makes falling down an impossibility even though the bus is so full that the front door remains wide open. A colorful character swings just outside the doors of the moving bus; he whistles, collects money, makes change, calls out stops, all while dangling from the bus by a couple of fingers. I smile, wising I had a camera to capture the moment.


Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment