Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Just because.

Today was a rough day. I got some bad news.

I went on a walk to clear my thoughts. As I made my way down to the library for "Farito" homework help, I decided to visit some of my English students. I stopped by my home-stay family where I was reminded about some upcoming birthdays. Next, I visited a newer student's house for the first time. Her mom runs a venta, a store, and this little girl always has the cutest earrings. One time, after I complimented her on her fun yellow square studs, she showed up at the next class with a pair for me! I've heard this is very Nica (i.e. compliment someone and then they'll give you whatever you complimented them on), but it had never before happened to me. It's a touching, uncomfortable place to be in when someone gives you a gift and you don't know how to begin to pay them back (as we so often feel the need to do after a gift is given). Well, during my visit today, my student's mother showed me her store and pointed out a few stacks of earrings for sale. Remembering that she wanted to give some to the other teacher (Leah) and wanted to let me pick some out myself, she asked which I liked. Indecisive as I am, and unwilling to take away the earrings but unable to pay, I said I loved them all. Next thing I know, my precious student and her mom are insisting I take the whole package of beautiful butterfly earrings. Just because.


A little kindness goes a long way. This made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment