Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Wonderful World of Nicaraguan transportation

Upon my arrival to Nicaragua, one thing immediately stuck out: the potholes. Those have since been filled in, but I have yet to drive down the Carretera Vieja a Leon without passing a plethora of mediums for transport including oxen, bicycles, trucks, motorcycles, buses, and cars. Don't forget your horse or your own good pair of feet either - there are many ways to get around Cedro Galan/Chiquilistagua! I've already got great memories of transportation in Nicargua: learning to drive stick shift, passing cars while facing oncoming traffic, my first (and only) motorcycle ride, driving singing chavalos to and from Kid's English at the Land ("¡La Rebeca! ¡La Rebeca! ¡No se olvide la Rebeca!"), trying to board a bus amidst a slew of hecklers calling out "Manawaaa - Manawaaa - Manawaaa," "Chinandega - Chinandega - Chinandega," or my personal favorite, "¡Masaya - Masaya - Masaaaayaaaaa!" Anyway you look at it, getting around Nicaragua is interesting. Depending on your perspective (and your day), it can be thrilling, terrifying, or frustrating, and it's almost always hot. There's a good chance you'll get pulled over by the police: If it's a long sleeves shirted cop that gets you, watch out for a ticket. If he or she is wearing short sleeves, you can't get a ticket (and you better call their bluff for a bribe). Needless to say, I've learned quite a bit just by riding around Managagua/Nicaragua/Central America. Please enjoy my video, a highlight of my adventures with transportation in Nicargua (and a few of my favorite students, too!).


Amor y paz,

Jan Maggi

1 comment:

  1. OMG Jan! You guys have auto-rickshaws! This is a huge revelation to me. Here, I thought they only existed in India!

    ReplyDelete